Accredited higher education institutions or establishments, public and private organizations which belong, according to the law, to the national system of research and development, recognize PhD diplomas, issued by:
- accredited institutions of higher education or research-development institutions from a Member State of the European Union, European Economic Area and Swiss Confederation
- accredited institutions of higher education or research-development institutions included in the list of prestigious universities from other countries, approved by the Minister of National Education and Scientific Research, regularly updated,
- accredited institutions of higher education or research-development instittutions subject to international mutual recognition agreements signed at intergovernmental level or Interuniversity level,
only for the purpose of admission to postgraduate programs, achieving habilitation, employment in a research or teaching position at one of the institutions or the units mentioned above, according OMENCS no. 5923 / 06.12.2016 approving the methodology for the recognition of PhD diploma and doctorate title in science or in a professional field, obtained abroad.
- PhD degrees obtained from accredited higher education institutions or research-development institutions from abroad for other purposes than those specified for universities
- PhD degrees obtained from universities in third countries other than those in the list of prestigious universities.
Submitting the application
Public Hours: Monday-Thursday 09:00-11:00, 14:00-16:00 | Friday 09:00-11:00
- by mail service
Ministry of Education and Research Registration Office,
10 Spiru Haret street, District 1, 010176, Bucharest
In case of loss, complete destruction or partial deterioration of the recognition certificate, a duplicate may be issued, if the documents which allowed the issuing of the said certificate are still available in the archive.
For a duplicate to be issued, the holder shall submit a written request, accompanied by the documents listed below:
- Photocopy of the document which was granted recognition
- Photocopy of the holder’s identification document,
- Proof of payment of the fee of 100 lei for issuing the duplicate - paid only by third-country nationals,
- Notary statement concerning the classification in one of the situations mentioned above
The procedure for recognition of doctorate diploma and of PhD. in science or in a professional field, obtained abroad can be viewed in Point of Single Contact and Electronic Procedures.